Friday, September 9, 2016

Bittersweet

Today and tomorrow will be two of the hardest days by far. This much came to light last night at work as some of my co-workers hugged me with tears in their eyes before leaving. I started my job at Whataburger when I was at my lowest point. I had just left my husband and didn't think I'd recover because I promised myself this would be the last time I walked away. I wouldn't return.

I was belittled for my career choice. I was told by many that is was just a bullshit burger flipping job. Just because I wasn't a nurse who pulled twelve hour shifts. Each job is important in every industry and there are trials no matter what you work. I defended my job tirelessly and eventually got to a point where I no longer cared.

I walked into Whataburger not knowing anything. I had always worked retail and my first week at Whataburger was shell shock. I was overwhelmed at how bus it was. How you had to be able to do five jobs at once.

I was knocked down many times for team leader because I wear my heart on my sleeve. This is my biggest weakness and strength. I had a conversation with one of the managers that helped push me to team leader. He pushed me and believed me even when my barriers were breaking and I didn't think I would have the strength to go on.

Sal sent me texts right around when I was going for team leader because the pressure had been getting to me and I seriously considered dropping out of becoming a team leader but receiving messages like:

"Let Ally be your motivation!!!!"

"You need to make decisions that will impact your career."

"I hope you know now that I'll ask you and tell you its not because I'm trying to give you a hard time, its for a reason."

The other big thing I learned from Sal is to remember my why. Anytime I feel or felt like giving up I am told to remember why I am doing it. I have grown so much emotionally from Whataburger because everyone there was family to me when I had felt like I lost everything.

There is also Miguel. There are so many things I could say about him but mostly I'll say he has been my rock. When I was able to drive without having to borrow rides he pushed me at the gym. We both watch Empire and I know he'll always be a text away.

I will forever be grateful to my sister for helping me get the job. I know I'm not leaving the company but leaving the store that taught me strength, compassion, perseverance, and humbleness. I am going to take this lessons onto my next store and make a difference.

Most would say its just a job and not something to be so emotional about it but for me this company isn't just a job. Yes I've had days where I've hit my breaking point but these people have become family to me. I've been saying that I didn't understand why people were getting so emotional because all I was doing was transferring but now as I sit here thankful to have my home to myself. I am bawling my eyes out because I don't know where the next chapter is going to take me.

I am beyond grateful for everything 883 has taught me and will take so much with me to my new store. I am so proud of myself for all of the strength I've gained over the last year.

I am going to take this opportunity and work my ass off to try to get to the next level. For now I think I am going to go do some self-care and straighten my hair for tonight. I am definitely in my feels today and I am glad that I'll have Ally home tomorrow because I feel like we've hardly seen each other this week between work and school.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes to grow and learn you have to change your location. You've done all you can at your old whataburger. Time to move on to a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes your job may be fast food but it is a job in service to others just the same as nursing or housekeeping. Good luck with your new store sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you love what you do who cares what it is you are doing?? I think you are doing great! And I think that you caring so much about your job makes you the perfect employee. I know it is hard to leave your friends behind but you will do great at your new store I know it!

    ReplyDelete

Encouraging Comments Are Always Welcomed. :)